Stem Cell Transplant Journal Day 17 – 17 December 2015 (Cancer and Me 58)

18th December 2015 2 By Andy Burrows

The night wasn’t too bad, although being connected to the IV made it less restful than it would otherwise have been.

But in contrast to yesterday I spent the morning feeling tired and lounging around doing nothing.

I’d made up my mind I was going to try to eat today. The smell of food was no longer a problem, and I thought it was worth a try. However, after a slice of toast, I couldn’t manage any more because my throat is so sore. It’s a real painful effort swallowing. I managed one mouthful of pizza at lunchtime, and a small amount of chicken casserole and mashed potato at dinner. Thankfully the jelly and yoghurt is regaining its taste, so I’m enjoying it a little more.

I can’t actually remember what I’ve done today. I think it’s just been bits and pieces of reading and listening to an audio book, and speaking on FaceTime with my mum and then separately with Tom, and on the phone with Anna and Heidi.

Neutrophils are still on zero. The junior doctor, in answer to my question, said that they expect it to still be zero tomorrow, and then to start picking up from Saturday onwards.

They haven’t been able to isolate the infection, but my temperature has been normal since the one spike, so they are just going to carry on with the generic non-Penicillin antibiotic. This will be continued for a minimum of 7 days. If I am still showing signs of infection they will continue it for another 3 days.

I also had to have another platelet infusion this afternoon as well.

And finally, my hair is starting to come out. From ‘certain places’ it is falling out. I can also pull out clumps of hair from my head, which is quite amusing. Heidi finds it a bit gross and so I don’t it around her, but when I’m on my own it’s sometimes fun to pinch a bunch (it’s only about 1cm long anyway!) and pull, and see how many hairs come out. It’s always a good few. So I’m really just waiting for the day when I find hair all over my pillow in the morning, and then I just wash most of it off in the shower. Will it be tomorrow? You’ll have to wait for the next exciting (ha-ha) instalment!